Create you own soft, beautifully scented, feel-good laundry
— without toxic chemicals!
Substitute chemically driven fabric softeners for an all-natural, toxic-free alternative that is much easier and affordable than you might think. Make your own 100% natural wool dryer balls that can last for many years, and scent them with your favorite essential oils to leave your fabrics soft and smelling fabulous. To reduce static cling form a ball out of aluminum foil and throw into the dryer along with your dryer balls! Learn more about “Respiratory toxicity of fabric softener emissions“.
What you’ll need:
100% wool or 100% other animal yarn
- roll up yarn into balls about the size of tennis balls
- -make 4 to 6 balls
- cut off one leg of panty hose
- put in one ball at the bottom, tie a knot, add next yarn ball — repeat until you have three to four in one leg of pantyhose
- throw into your next wash of towels (hot water cycle)
- throw yarn balls in pantyhose into the dryer when drying the towels (hottest dryer setting)
- this will fuse the yarn balls together
- wait until yarn balls are completely dry and remove from pantyhose
- add 2-3 drops of favorite essential oil per yarn ball (scent will last for a few loads)
- throw yarnballs into the dryer with your next load
Some favorite scents:
Enjoy soft, beautifully smelling laundry — knowing you are keeping yourself and your family a little safer and away from toxic chemicals!